OUR MINIMUM POLICIES AND PROCESS
1. Be a minimum age of 25 years old
2. If you have children and/or live in a house, then you are mandated to have an appropriate fence. Our dogs are accustomed to running off leash in a safely fenced area outdoors with our volunteers and trainer. Our large dogs always require a minimum five foot high appropriate physically fenced yard attached to your home where you and your dogs can play without the interference of other dogs. Most of our smaller dogs do not need a fenced yard unless indicated and unless you live in a house but must be kept on a leash and harness attached to a competent adult while outdoors in an unfenced area, even if it is on your own property. Please actually measure the lowest and highest point of your fence and gate and don’t guess. Exceptions will be listed in the profiles. Nearby dog parks do not substitute as your own fence for our large dogs. All size dogs must always be on a leash attached to you while outdoors in an “unfenced” area………..even if it’s in your own yard, even if you live far from the road, and even if you deem your property safe. No invisible, underground, hidden or electric fencing, no dog doors allowed, and no outdoor or indoor tethering allowed. These are unsafe no matter what you are told elsewhere. If you cannot go outside and run, play, and walk with your dogs and feel a need to tether them outside (against the law) or are too lazy to take them outdoors to potty and let them potty on your deck then we are not the right group to adopt from. We want to find homes that are good for the dogs best needs.
3. Have no children under 10 years old. If your child is 9 years old and has been raised with a dog successfully then we will consider your application. These dogs are not adopted to children as a toy or “for my child to have a dog”. These dogs are adopted to adults who are contracted with us to be the responsible people to love, care, and to always supervise the dogs around children no matter how well behaved they are.
4. Be a permanent resident of the state of GA and a permanent US citizen. WE NO LONGER ADOPT OUT OF STATE! Your drivers license must be a GA drivers license and you must live in GA full time. If you have your student/work/other visa, you are not a permanent US citizen. Certain Green cards are okay with all minimum policies being met.
5. Have appropriate similar breed or same dog breed and dog size “ownership” experience that can be verified “under your name” with a veterinarian in the United States. For example, if you are interested in a dog with curly hair, then we must be able to confirm with your veterinarian you own or have owned a dog with curly hair. Growing up with a dog does not count as being the owner of the dog as your parents had ownership and financial responsibility, not you.
6. Adopted dog must be adopted for and live with the applicant /adopter full time, not adopted for someone else, and the adopted dog is never transferable. The person adopting the dog must complete the application and have a working email that they use regularly.
7. College students are not applicable to adopt dogs from us until they have graduated, have settled into their new jobs and know what time, expense, and energy they now realistically can provide for a dog, and meet our other criteria.
8. No dog doors allowed. You are contracted with us to be outside with the dog when they are outside. If you cannot do this then we are the wrong group to adopt from. A top animal psychologist has indicated that a dog’s mind is not past that of a two year old human child’s mind. A practical, caring person in their right mind would not allow a two year old child outdoors by themselves. We want the same philosophy for the dogs we adopt and so do the people who give their dogs to us.
9. All dogs and cats in your household must be spayed and/or neutered.
10. Your adopted dog must always be on a leash unless it is in an appropriately fenced yard where it is supervised by a capable adult. If you have children and live in a home with a yard then that yard must be appropriately fenced.
11. If you have a small dog or past small dog experience and want to adopt a large dog, please have large dog ownership experience as well as experience keeping both sizes together if you presently own one size dog and want to adopt another size dog. Large dogs require so much more than small dogs, especially in the exercise area, and many unintentional and serious accidents and injuries can happen between the two sizes. Exercise is not just letting the large dog into the back yard and expecting it to run or play by itself. It means physically going outside with the dog and actively running and playing with it. Simple leash walks will not meet a large dog’s exercise requirements, no matter how far or long you walk them……. unless they are older dogs with lower energy requirements.
12. You must have an active email account that you check regularly as we stay in touch via email.
13. You must be able to run with and after these dogs to play with them and to catch them if they become loose. We do not adopt dogs to homes where we feel the dogs will outlive the owners, and/or the owners cannot run with and after the dogs. These dogs have been through enough and our goal is to find these dogs their final destination so they don’t need to be rescued again. By the time dogs come to us, we are their 3rd to 5th stop. We want the next stop to be the final one.
14. We no longer adopt to residents of Hall County due to Hall County Animal Services euthanizing a dog without first contacting the registered owner of the microchip. We will take in dogs from residents of Hall County but unfortunately cannot adopt to residents of Hall County.
Process - Be sure to review our policies -Review our dogs profiles -Submit a fully completed application via email, and pay the $20 application fee via Paypal.com (use our email address when prompted). -When Paypal notifies Georgia Poodle Rescue of receipt, Georgia Poodle Rescue will review the application and contact you shortly thereafter. -The entire process is fairly quick.