- We are a unique rescue and first rescue-based breed club providing for our dogs and adopters what no other rescue provides. We take in poodles and poodle mixes of all sizes, curly or wavy coated dogs, and occasionally other breeds as space and resources allow. People feel very comfortable surrendering their dogs to us because of our strict policies, finding the type of families the former owners want their dogs to be adopted to, our nutrition program, our lifelong free training program, our environment and because of what we provide for our dogs and adopters for the rest of the dogs lives. Adopters also come back and adopt a second dog because they are so happy with the first adopted dog. However, in 2012 and 2013 we unfortunately had to turn away over 300 animals in need. WITH YOUR HELP, we can save more lives during the times we are full by you becoming a volunteer and/or foster home….for a few hours, days, weeks or year by year. Sometimes there are dogs in danger of being euthanized in animal control and we need someone in that area to pull the dog out of there under our name and hold the dog for a few hours until we can get the dog to us. Sometimes we receive a senior dog that deserves to live the rest of their short lives in a loving, private home. Sometimes there are owner surrenders that live far away and need help getting the dogs to us. Sometimes we have a dog that needs to recover from surgery and needs personal recovery time and attention in a foster home. Sometimes a dog is better in a private home until the dog is adopted. These are situations that we need foster homes for. By being a foster, you are helping to save two lives: the existing dogs life in foster and the one we take into our program in it’s place. This is where we need your help. We want our fosters to provide the love and time for the dogs in need. We will pay for the food and the yearly medical expenses. Won’t you help today? We need you and the dogs need you. Existing adopters are already pre-approved to be foster homes and are allowed to adopt the dogs they foster. New foster homes that have not adopted from us must allow us to show the dog to prospective adopters. If they are interested in adopting a fostered dog, they must go through our normal adoption process. Don’t be selfish and say you would never be able to give up a foster dog but instead think about the dogs and ask yourself how you can help out one of our dogs and help to find them a good home and get them into an environment in the meantime where they can have one on one attention. If you want to volunteer yet can’t find the time then let us bring one or two of our dogs to you to foster in your own home where you can volunteer lots of time with them. Send an adoption application in today and write “foster” on it. There is no application fee for a foster application.
SELECT A SONG AND CLICK ON THE ARROW IN ONE OF THE PICTURES BELOW THEN VIEW OUR DOGS BELOW WHILE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC IMAGINING THE DOGS SINGING THE WORDS TO YOU. PLEASE GIVE THESE DOGS THE SPECIAL HOMES AND WONDERFUL LIVES THEY DESERVE! They will look up to you and tell you in many ways, EVERY day how appreciative they are! PLEASE READ OUR PROCESS AND POLICIES AS WELL AS FURTHER INFORMATION THAT APPEARS AFTER THE LARGE DOG SECTION BELOW.
Warning! This first song is catchy and you’ll find yourself singing, humming, or whistling it to yourself!
THESE DOGS ARE ADOPTABLE BUT THEY NEED SOMEONE THEY CAN DEPEND ON FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. THEY NEED YOU. WILL YOU COMMIT TO CARE FOR THEM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES?
DOGS BELOW ARE SECTIONED BY SMALL (Toy), MEDIUM (Miniature/Moyen), AND LARGE (Standard/Moyen) – This web site contains the most updated information should different information be found on other web sites.
When you adopt from a rescue or foster for a rescue, you are supporting our rescue efforts by helping to support our existing dogs and making space for us to save even more dogs that deserve to have another loving home rather than to be euthanized in animal control.
A SAMPLE MEET AND GREET PIC WHERE EVERYONE HAS FUN! Remember, we are available for free training and nutritional advice for the rest of the dogs life.
Keep on sharing all our pictures so we can find homes faster. Print them out and post them in the dog food stores, grocery stores, feed stores, department stores and boutiques, diners, restaurants, veterinary offices, groomers , subdivision post boards and newsletters, your company newsletters, break rooms, cafeterias, apartments, senior homes, playhouses, and everywhere else you think there will be quality adopters who could afford our grooming and care and our personality of following you everywhere, hence, our nickname of the shadow dog.
This is not our fault that we are here needing homes. We are wonderful, trained and socialized dogs and you receive free training and nutritional advice for the rest of our lives. Please always help us. There will always be more of us coming in and us poodles cannot speak for ourselves so we need Georgia Poodle Rescue! We need your support in many ways!
Thank you for your kindness and caring towards us. Thank you for paying attention and taking the time to read this. Always remember us when you see an opportunity for us. Please never forget us.
SMALL TOY DOGS (4-13 pounds) – (Unless otherwise listed, each of these dogs are $300)
BRIDGETTE AND JUDY – POODLE MIX GIRLS (Must be adopted together-$400 total
Judy and Bridgette were surrendered together by their former owner to animal control. We tried to separate them but they are inseparable and need to be adopted together. Judy is a Lhasa poo and Bridgette is also a Lhasa poo. They both have a wonderful personality, with Bridgette being a little scared until she gets to know you, then her personality comes out and she is very sweet. Judy was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and she is on medication. We would like to adopt both together as they are dependent on each other. They would be perfect for an apartment, condo, or even a home situation. They are not high energy and are very easygoing.
DEWEY – WHITE POODLE/BICHON BOY!
Dewey is a white poodle/bichon boy who weighs about 12-13 lbs and is about 2-3 years old. His former owner could not keep him because she had young children at home and could no longer afford him as she was struggling paying her children’s bills so she asked us to find him a good home. Dewey is cute and is a sweetie pie and is very friendly with people and other dogs. $300
MINIATURE DOGS – (15-34 pounds) – (Unless otherwise listed, each of these dogs are $300)
BENJAMIN – GORGEOUS YORKIE/SILKIE/SHIH TZU MIX BOY
COOKIE – WHITE MINI POODLE GIRL!
Cookie is a very sweet and beautiful miniature white poodle girl born 3/8/09 and purchased from a breeder. We have her CKC papers. She was an owner surrender. She belonged to an older woman who developed heart problems and was in and out of the hospital. Cookie was passed around to several family members before finally calling us. Cookie is a sweet, cute, and cuddly darling little girl that will make your life sparkle! She is great with other dogs and people! $300
FLASH - WHITE MINI POODLE/BICHON BOY!
Flash is an all white miniature sized poodle/bichon mix weighing about 20 lbs and about 1.5-2.5 years old as of January 2014. He was found as a stray by animal control with super overgrown and matted fur. We took him in, clipped him, bathed him, and gave him much deserved relief! He is a very calm and relaxed little guy and is a very happy dog. We neutered him, updated him on his vaccines, and heartworm tested him negative. Flash is almost knee height. $300
MURPHY – BLACK MINI POODLE BOY!
Murphy is a 4 year old black miniature poodle boy. He is a sweet little boy. He was surrendered to us because he did not like his owner’s fiancee. Murphy was spoiled in a way people spoil each other. But dogs need to be spoiled differently so they will continue to be obedient. He has a sweet personality and is obedient as long as people are nice to him. If people are not nice to him or are impatient with him then he may growl….but not always We will teach you how to be a pack leader with him and spoil him in a way that will work with his sweet personality. We prefer a home without young children for Murphy. $300
LARGE STANDARD/MOYEN DOGS (35+ pounds) – (Unless otherwise listed, each of these dogs are $500)
CASPIAN – CAFE AU LAIT – STANDARD POODLE BOY!
My name is Caspian! I am a beautiful cafe au lait standard poodle boy born 8/28/07. My mom’s work schedule changed and I was alone for at least 12 hours a day. Even though I lived with her since I was a pup, I understand she wants the best for me. I weigh 45.5 lbs. I am a happy and friendly boy and love people and children. I know my commands, am neutered, am updated on my vaccinations and heartworm negative. I love playing with other dogs but can be perfectly content snuggling and playing with you and would love to be in a home again. Will you take me home with you? $450
CONNIE – BLACK STANDARD POODLE GIRL
Connie is a young jet black female very sweet standard poodle girl. She was abandoned as a youngster in her backyard along with her brothers and sisters by an AKC breeder. Connie was born about 6/6/09 and came together with her sister Frances and her brother Houston.. We updated her on her vaccines, heartworm tested her, and spayed her. Connie has been taken on several meet and greets and was almost adopted but then the adopters senior relative died and left them three senior toy poodles to take care of. We have tested them and it is okay for them to be adopted separately. Ever since we have opened this rescue in 2009, we are proud to say that our dogs have always come updated with their vaccinations (many times with a 3 year rabies vaccination), DA2PP, Bordatella, heartworm tested negative, spayed/neutered, sometimes have a dental if needed or as resources allow, flea/hw prevention, trained, microchipped, dewormed, socialized with people and animals and lifetime free training and nutrition advice. Our adopters are very happy with the dogs they adopt from us and many times come back to adopt a second dog from us! Our standard poodles require a five foot minimum safely fenced yard unless otherwise listed. $500
COTTON – TALL WHITE STANDARD POODLE BOY
Cotton is a 3.5 year old tall white standard poodle boy as of May 2014. His former owner fell upon bad times and could no longer afford him. She tried to give him to the Humane Society and another no kill animal control facility but they would not take him because he had a large tumor on his hip. She did not know about us then as she just recently moved to GA. A person who was looking for another dog at the animal control facility at the same time overheard the conversation and said she would take Cotton and add him to her pack of 7 dogs. She also had a cat and unfortunately Cotton didn’t like cats so she called us. We neutered Cotton, heartworm tested him negative, and updated him on his vaccines. We also gave him super good customized nutrition and his tumor is gone. He is now available for adoption. He is tall and weighs about 63 lbs. He is a gentle, happy and loving guy and plays very well with other dogs. Ever since we have opened this rescue in 2009, we are proud to say that our dogs have always come updated with their vaccinations (many times with a 3 year rabies vaccination), DA2PP, Bordatella, heartworm tested negative, spayed/neutered, sometimes have a dental if needed or as resources allow, flea/hw prevention, trained, microchipped, dewormed, socialized with people and animals and lifetime free training and nutrition advice. Our adopters are very happy with the dogs they adopt from us and many times come back to adopt a second dog from us! Our standard poodles require a five foot minimum safely fenced yard unless otherwise listed. $500
DAISY – Tripod Goldendoodle Puppy Girl
Daisy was born with 3.5 legs, hence the tripod title. She is a beautiful goldendoodle girl, born 4.14.14, whose breeder wanted her euthanized after she was born because of her handicap of three legs. The veterinarian refused and said she is a perfectly healthy pup, to keep her with her mother until 6 weeks and he will take her. We were contacted to take her into our program. Daisy has a marvelous, playful personality and would do well in a home that has another dog that likes to play and is gentle with a pup. We are looking for the right home for her with a fenced yard as we believe she will grow to be a standard sized dog. Her adopters must also have the patience and time needed to care for a dog, including staying up all night with the dog if it needs you. It doesn’t matter if you are tired, if the dog needs you then they only have you to rely on……same as a human baby.
A tripod dog can walk and run just fine, which Daisy does, and Daisy has even mastered to climb several stair steps and can climb a chair using her bent back leg. Because she only has 1.5 back legs, she does not squat when she urinates or defecates so would need cleaning every single time she does this as it falls on her fur. This may change as she becomes a taller adult. Daisy requires a home with another dog she gets along with. She will not do well being an only dog nor left for long periods of time. We are bringing her to one of our vets who will examine her to determine if her leg can be dropped. If so, we will need to raise the funds to do this. If this works, we have a sponsor for an orthotic foot. Her adopters must also show us that they are familiar with the needs of a pup this age, this type, and with this handicap. We will be very careful adopting this precious and beautiful little girl to the right home who can care for her properly. $500
Ellie – Café au Lait Standard Poodle Girl
Ellie is a beautiful café au lait poodle girl born 9/18/10.
She was originally given to us because she was unsocialized and her original owner, who purchased her from a SC breeder, who also called herself a rescue, said she didn’t have time to socialize her due to her young children. So we socialized this beautiful girl and she is only a tiny bit shy now until she gets to know you. She was adopted out and then returned as Ellie has developed a chewing problem when she is left by her owner and she decided to
chew things she wasn’t supposed to in the house while she was gone. While she was home, Ellie was a perfect angel. Ellie does not do well in a crate or in confinement in small places.
She is a Houdini and will figure out how to get out. She always needs the kibble or other food in her bowl (free feed) and she needs to have access to potty throughout the day or
she will refocus her energies on chewing. This is what we have figured out. This is her only drawback. She loves playing with other dogs and is a special girl. She does require a good bit of exercise off leash in a safely fenced area where she can run off her energies with you or another playful dog. Simple leash walks will not do for Ellie. $500
HOUSTON – BLACK STANDARD POODLE BOY
Houston is a young jet black male very sweet standard poodle boy. He was abandoned as a youngster in his backyard along with his brothers and sisters by an AKC breeder. Houston was born about 6/6/09 and came together with his sisters Connie and Frances. We have tested them and it is okay for them to be adopted separately. Houston has a very sweet and kind personality and loves to play with other dogs as well as be with his people. Ever since we have opened this rescue in 2009, we are proud to say that our dogs have always come updated with their vaccinations (many times with a 3 year rabies vaccination), DA2PP, Bordatella, heartworm tested negative, spayed/neutered, sometimes have a dental if needed or as resources allow, flea/hw prevention, trained, microchipped, dewormed, socialized with people and animals and lifetime free training and nutrition advice. Our adopters are very happy with the dogs they adopt from us and many times come back to adopt a second dog from us! Our standard poodles require a five foot minimum safely fenced yard unless otherwise listed. $500
SPENCER – SILVER STANDARD DOODLE OR POODLE WITH A NATURAL TAIL! (I am being shown to a family!)
Hi, my name is Spencer. I am a 2-3 year old silver standard doodle boy or standard poodle boy with a natural tail. I love to play with other dogs and people, am very friendly, am learning my commands and love to ride in a car. I can run very fast then I play and it is fun, fun, fun! Look at very handsome me with my new best friend, the very beautiful Piper! We were playing outside in this picture and she was showing me around. Piper was recently adopted so now I run very fast with Ellie. I was very matted so I was shaved down but my hair is growing back very fast! I am a very good boy but my original owner did not give me heartworm medicine each month to kill the baby heartworms before they grew into adults and I tested heartworm positive. I am being treated by Georgia Poodle Rescue with the slow kill method because I am just too energetic for the other fast kill method, which may kill me. The good thing is I am young, happy, very friendly, energetic (I can run extremely fast,,,,,I think I may have some gazelle in me!), have a healthy appetite and show no visible symptoms! I also will need to be neutered once the doctor thinks I am ready. Will you sponsor my treatment and neuter to help me get better?
OUR POLICIES AND PROCESS
1. Be a minimum age of 25 years old
2. Most of our small dogs do not need a fenced yard but must always be on a leash attached to you while outdoors in an unfenced area. Our large dogs require a minimum five foot high appropriate physically fenced yard. Sometimes we have large dogs that do well with a four foot fence but the fence must be appropriate for the dog and no lower than four feet. If a large dog does not require a fenced yard either due to their age, physical activity, demeanor, medical or other, then their profile will indicate this information. However, they, too, must always be on a leash attached to you while outdoors in an unfenced area………..even if it’s in your own yard, you live far from the road, and you deem your property safe. No invisible fencing and no dog doors.
3. Have no children under 10 years old. If your child is 9 years old and has been raised with a dog successfully then we will consider your application. These dogs are not adopted to children as a toy or “for my child to have a dog”. These dogs are adopted to adults who are contracted with us to be the responsible people to love, care, and to always supervise the dogs around children no matter how well behaved they are.
4. Be a permanent resident of the state of GA
5. Have appropriate dog and/or breed experience
6. Adopted dog must be adopted for and live with the applicant full time, not adopted for someone else, and the adopted dog is never transferable.
7. College students are not applicable to adopt dogs from us until they have graduated, have settled into their new jobs and know what time, expense, and energy they now realistically can provide for a dog, and meet our other criteria.
8. No dog doors. You are contracted with us to be outside with the dog when they are outside. A top animal psychologist has indicated that a dog’s mind is not past that of a two year old human child’s mind. A practical, caring person in their right mind would not allow a two year old child outdoors by themselves. We want the same philosophy for the dogs we adopt and so do the people who give their dogs to us.
9. All dogs and cats in your household must be spayed and/or neutered.
10. Your adopted dog must always be on a leash unless it is in an appropriately fenced yard where it is supervised by a capable adult.
11. No dog doors.
12. If you have a small dog or past small dog experience and want to adopt a large dog, please have large dog ownership experience as well as experience keeping both sizes together if you presently own a small dog. Large dogs require so much more than small dogs, especially in the exercise area, and many unintentional accidents can happen between the two sizes. Exercise is not just letting the large dog into the back yard and expecting it to run or play by itself. It means physically going outside with the dog and actively running and playing with it. Simple leash walks will not meet a large dog’s exercise requirements, no matter how far or long you walk them……. unless they are older dogs.
-Review our policies
-Review our dogs profiles
-Submit a fully completed application via email, and pay the $20 application fee via Paypal.com (use our email address when prompted).
-When Paypal notifies Georgia Poodle Rescue of receipt, Georgia Poodle Rescue will review the application and contact you shortly thereafter.
-The entire process is fairly quick.