- We are a unique rescue and first rescue-based breed club providing for our dogs and adopters what no other rescue provides. We take in poodles and poodle mixes of all sizes, curly or wavy coated dogs, and occasionally other breeds as space and resources allow. People feel very comfortable surrendering their dogs to us because of our strict policies, finding the type of families the former owners want their dogs to be adopted to, our nutrition program, our lifelong free training program, our environment and because of what we provide for our dogs and adopters for the rest of the dogs lives. Adopters also come back and adopt a second dog because they are so happy with the first adopted dog. However, in 2012 and 2013 we unfortunately had to turn away over 300 animals in need. WITH YOUR HELP, we can save more lives during the times we are full by you becoming a volunteer and/or foster home….for a few hours, days, weeks or year by year. Sometimes there are dogs in danger of being euthanized in animal control and we need someone in that area to pull the dog out of there under our name and hold the dog for a few hours until we can get the dog to us. Sometimes we receive a senior dog that deserves to live the rest of their short lives in a loving, private home. Sometimes there are owner surrenders that live far away and need help getting the dogs to us. Sometimes we have a dog that needs to recover from surgery and needs personal recovery time and attention in a foster home. Sometimes a dog is better in a private home until the dog is adopted. These are situations that we need foster homes for. By being a foster, you are helping to save two lives: the existing dogs life in foster and the one we take into our program in it’s place. This is where we need your help. We want our fosters to provide the love and time for the dogs in need. We will pay for the food and the yearly medical expenses. Won’t you help today? We need you and the dogs need you. Existing adopters are already pre-approved to be foster homes and are allowed to adopt the dogs they foster. New foster homes that have not adopted from us must allow us to show the dog to prospective adopters. If they are interested in adopting a fostered dog, they must go through our normal adoption process. Don’t be selfish and say you would never be able to give up a foster dog but instead think about the dogs and ask yourself how you can help out one of our dogs and help to find them a good home and get them into an environment in the meantime where they can have one on one attention. If you want to volunteer yet can’t find the time then let us bring one or two of our dogs to you to foster in your own home where you can volunteer lots of time with them. Send an adoption application in today and write “foster” on it. There is no application fee for a foster application.
SELECT A SONG AND CLICK ON THE ARROW IN ONE OF THE PICTURES BELOW THEN VIEW OUR DOGS BELOW WHILE LISTENING TO THE MUSIC IMAGINING THE DOGS SINGING THE WORDS TO YOU. PLEASE GIVE THESE DOGS THE SPECIAL HOMES AND WONDERFUL LIVES THEY DESERVE! They will look up to you and tell you in many ways, EVERY day how appreciative they are! PLEASE READ OUR PROCESS AND POLICIES AS WELL AS FURTHER INFORMATION THAT APPEARS AFTER THE LARGE DOG SECTION BELOW.
Warning! This first song is catchy and you’ll find yourself singing, humming, or whistling it to yourself!
THESE DOGS ARE ADOPTABLE BUT THEY NEED SOMEONE THEY CAN DEPEND ON FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. THEY NEED YOU. WILL YOU COMMIT TO CARE FOR THEM FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES?
DOGS BELOW ARE SECTIONED BY SMALL (Toy), MEDIUM (Miniature/Moyen), AND LARGE (Standard/Moyen) – This web site contains the most updated information should different information be found on other web sites.
When you adopt from a rescue or foster for a rescue, you are supporting our rescue efforts by helping to support our existing dogs and making space for us to save even more dogs that deserve to have another loving home rather than to be euthanized in animal control.
A SAMPLE MEET AND GREET PIC WHERE EVERYONE HAS FUN! Remember, we are available for free training and nutritional advice for the rest of the dogs life.
Keep on sharing all our pictures so we can find homes faster. Print them out and post them in the dog food stores, grocery stores, feed stores, department stores and boutiques, diners, restaurants, veterinary offices, groomers , subdivision post boards and newsletters, your company newsletters, break rooms, cafeterias, apartments, senior homes, playhouses, and everywhere else you think there will be quality adopters who could afford our grooming and care and our personality of following you everywhere, hence, our nickname of the shadow dog.
This is not our fault that we are here needing homes. We are wonderful, trained and socialized dogs and you receive free training and nutritional advice for the rest of our lives. Please always help us. There will always be more of us coming in and us poodles cannot speak for ourselves so we need Georgia Poodle Rescue! We need your support in many ways!
Thank you for your kindness and caring towards us. Thank you for paying attention and taking the time to read this. Always remember us when you see an opportunity for us. Please never forget us.
SMALL TOY DOGS (4-13 pounds) – (Unless otherwise listed, each of these dogs are $300)
BEAU – WHITE POODLE MIX BOY!
Beau is a handsome white toy poodle mix boy about 5-6 years old. His owner could no longer keep him so asked us to find him a good home. Beau is a very loving little guy and likes to be with his people. He plays well with other dogs and with people. He loves to go outside with his people and run around and play and also go for leash walks. He is a happy little guy and is looking for someone to love him. He weighs about 12-13 lbs. $300
Bia’ly and JoJo – Silver Toy Poodle Boy and White Toy Maltipoo Boy – Must be adopted together!
Bia’ly and JoJo are two very loved toy boys! Bia’ly is a 6 year old silver toy poodle boy and JoJo is a 4 year old white toy maltipoo boy! They were owner surrenders from the same human family and are bonded and inseparable so must be adopted together. Their human family had to care and focus on a very sick family member and sadly asked us to find both sweeties a good home. We neutered, gave dentals, heartworm tests, microchips and updated their vaccines at the vet. They weigh 5-7 lbs each. $550 to adopt both together.
BRIDGETTE AND JUDY – POODLE MIX GIRLS (Must be adopted together-$400 total
Judy and Bridgette were surrendered together by their former owner to animal control. We tried to separate them but they are inseparable and need to be adopted together. Judy is a Lhasa poo and Bridgette is also a Lhasa poo. They both have a wonderful personality, with Bridgette being a little scared until she gets to know you, then her personality comes out and she is very sweet. Judy was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and she is on medication. We would like to adopt both together as they are dependent on each other. They would be perfect for an apartment, condo, or even a home situation. They are not high energy and are very easygoing. $400
ADOPTED!!! – Ginger – Toy White Poodle Girl
Ginger is a 10-12 year old white toy poodle girl. Her owner, who recently died, was wheelchair bound and Ginger learned to jump into his lap and on his bed. She is about 5 lbs overweight but with regular walking and exercise she will be at her ideal weight. Her teeth were cleaned recently, she is updated on her vaccines, spayed, and has tested heartworm negative.
Pearl – Tiny White Toy Poodle Girl
Pearl is a beautiful white female toy poodle girl. Even though she is only 6 years old, she has no teeth! Her eyes are clear, body in good condition, and she is very loving, friendly and active! Another rescue picked her up from animal control and transferred to us so we can spay her, vet her, and find her a good home. Happy little Pearl is smart, inquisitive, and would have a conversation with you if she could. She has those knowing eyes! She loves to go with you for car rides and be with you everywhere giving kisses! $300
Russell – Tiny White Toy Poodle Mix Boy
Russell is an 11 month old tiny white poodle mix boy. He weighs about 8 lbs and will remain a toy size. He has poodle fur on his body and flowing silky hair on his ears . His ears partially stand up so cute when he is excited. Russell is a happy and active little one. He loves to play with other dogs and loves people and he also is completely content sitting with you. He was an owner surrender to another rescue group because the former owners did not realize the demand of care needed for a dog, especially a puppy. That rescue group transferred Russell to us, we had him neutered and vetted, and now this little sweetie is available for adoption. You must have the time and energy it takes to care for a dog, especially a young pup like Russell. $300
MINIATURE DOGS – (15-34 pounds) – (Unless otherwise listed, each of these dogs are $300)
Chance – Blue Miniature Poodle Boy
Chance is a handsome 1-2 year old blue miniature poodle boy weighing 21 lbs. He was found as a very matted stray with a big hot spot under all that matting by animal control. We were called to pick him up and we had him vetted, neutered, vaccinated, treated for the hot spot (which is healing nicely) and heartworm tested. He did test heartworm positive but has no symptoms and at his young age it has to be a recent occurrence. We are using the slow kill method by giving him the appropriate monthly heartworm medicine. Chance has a wonderful, relaxed, and happy personality, loves other dogs and loves people! $300
Coby – White Miniature Poodle Boy ( mix-mostly poodle)
Coby is a white miniature poodle boy born around 2/4/11. He sports his beautiful natural poodle tail! He was found as a stray by his former owner when he was about one year old. He came to us together with Kasha, a cream miniature poodle mix girl born 12/14/11. Kasha was recently adopted. Their owner is elderly, was diagnosed with cancer, and has no energy with the cancer treatments so we were asked to find the dogs a good home. They may be adopted separately. Both dogs are very friendly. He is happy and playful and loves playing with other dogs. His weight is about 15-18 lbs. $300.
Molly – Silver Miniature Poodle Girl
Molly is a beautiful silver miniature poodle girl, about 6 years old as of December 2014 and weighing about 15 lbs. Her owner went into a nursing home and she was brought to us to find her a good home. She tested heartworm positive but does not show any symptoms. Molly grew up together with a cat and is very good with cats. She has a very calm and pleasant personality and likes to go with you outside and walk around with you………just be with you both indoors and outdoors. She has a perpetual smile on her face and would make someone a wonderful little companion! $300
MURPHY – BLACK MINI POODLE BOY!
Murphy is a 4 year old black miniature poodle boy. He is a sweet little boy. He weighs about 15 lbs. He was surrendered to us because he did not like his owner’s fiancee. Murphy was spoiled in a way people spoil each other. But dogs need to be spoiled differently so they will continue to be obedient. He has a sweet personality and is obedient as long as people are nice to him. If people are not nice to him or are impatient with him then he may growl….but not always We will teach you how to be a pack leader with him and spoil him in a way that will work with his sweet personality. We prefer a home without young children for Murphy. $300
Nicky – White Miniature Poodle Boy!
Nicky is a white miniature poodle boy born 10/14/12! His papers say he is a schnoodle but we don’t see any schnauzer in him! He was an owner surrender because the owner is moving to another country where there is a year long quarantine for dogs coming into the country and they didn’t want to put Nicky through that, so they asked us to find him a good home! We neutered him, updated him on his vaccines, microchipped him and heartworm tested him (negative). He is a very loving and sweet little boy and right now on the smaller size for a miniature as he is still young and has growing to do! He loves to play with other dogs, explore, follow you around and has a cute little smile on his face. He is a love and a joy to have. This little guy will make someone a very nice family member! $300
Turner – Black Miniature Poodle Boy
Turner is a young adult black miniature poodle boy with shorter legs. He was found as a matted stray by animal control and tested heartworm positive. Animal control asked us to take this handsome little guy in. We are using the slow kill method of giving him monthly heartworm prevention. He also will be neutered and microchipped and will be updated on vaccines. He came to us scared but it flourishing into a lovely little personality! He loves play with other dogs and exploring outdoors with them. We are teaching him his basic obedience commands and how to walk on a leash. $300
LARGE STANDARD/MOYEN DOGS (35+ pounds) – (Unless otherwise listed, each of these dogs are $500)
COTTON – TALL WHITE STANDARD POODLE BOY
Cotton is a 4 year old tall white standard poodle boy as of November 2014. His former owner fell upon bad times and could no longer afford him. She tried to give him to the Humane Society and another no kill animal control facility but they would not take him because he had a large tumor on his hip. She did not know about us then as she just recently moved to GA. A person who was looking for another dog at the animal control facility at the same time overheard the conversation and said she would take Cotton and add him to her pack of 7 dogs. She also had a cat and unfortunately Cotton didn’t like cats so she called us. We neutered Cotton, heartworm tested him negative, and updated him on his vaccines. We also gave him super good customized nutrition and the tumor he came with is now gone. It may have resulted from a vaccine reaction Cotton is a tall standard poodle and weighs about 63 lbs. He is a gentle, but strong and energetic, happy and loving guy and plays very well with other dogs. He loves people and he loves dogs! He is a big love bug! $500
Ever since we have opened this rescue in 2009, we are proud to say that our dogs have always come updated with their vaccinations (many times with a 3 year rabies vaccination), DA2PP, Bordatella, heartworm tested negative, spayed/neutered, sometimes have a dental if needed or as resources allow, flea/hw prevention, trained, microchipped, dewormed, socialized with people and animals and lifetime free training and nutrition advice. Our adopters are very happy with the dogs they adopt from us and many times come back to adopt a second dog from us! Our standard poodles require a five foot minimum safely fenced yard unless otherwise listed.
DAISY – Tripod Goldendoodle Puppy Girl
Daisy was born with 3.5 legs, hence the tripod title. She just turned one year old on 4/14/15 and is a beautiful goldendoodle girl. Her breeder wanted her euthanized after she was born because of her handicap of three legs. The veterinarian refused and said she is a perfectly healthy pup, to keep her with her mother until 6 weeks and he will take her. We were contacted to take her into our program. Daisy has a marvelous, playful personality and needs a home that has another dog that likes to play and is gentle with a younger dog. She is slightly smaller than a full size standard doodle and is called a moyen/klein size, which means “medium” and is the fourth normal breed size accepted in Europe and other countries. We are looking for the right home for her with another dog and a fenced yard so she can run her fast speed and you can play safely with each other. She currently weighs about 40 lbs and may grow slightly but the vet thinks not that much more. Her adopters must also have the patience and time needed to care for a dog, with this handicap. She does not know how to squat on one back leg so when she urinates the urine may dribble down her back leg. You must wipe this with a wet cloth each and every time to avoid bad bacteria, which may contribute to a UTI.
A tripod dog can walk and run just fine, which Daisy does, and Daisy has even mastered to climb several stair steps and can climb a chair using her half leg. Because she only has 1.5 back legs, she does not squat when she urinates or defecates so would need cleaning every single time she does this as it falls on her fur and to avoid bacteria build up which can lead to UTIs. A dog diaper may work well on the indoors for this. Daisy requires a home with another friendly dog she can play with. She will not do well being an only dog nor left for long periods of time. We have brought her to one of our vets who has examined her to determine if her leg can be dropped. We know she uses her disabled leg up to the knee but don’t know if the portion of leg below the knee would also be working or just dangle if the leg was dropped. It would be good to determine if the leg portion below the knee is working as that would be something to be considered if they were to fit her with an orthotic paw. Right now, as the xrays show, the leg may or may not be a good candidate to be dropped or to be fitted with an orthotic. We have a sponsor who is willing to pay for part or all of Daisy’s orthotic. They will work with the family who adopts Daisy. Her adopters must also show us that they are familiar with the needs of a young dog this age, and familiar with this type of handicap. Daisy also has an anaphylactic shock to vaccines as seen and documented by our veterinarians. She must always be given the right kind and dose of Benedryl at least 45 minutes before being vaccinated. We will be very careful adopting this precious and beautiful little girl to the right home who can care for her properly. $500
Ellie – Café au Lait Standard Poodle Girl
Ellie is a beautiful café au lait poodle girl born 9/18/10.
She was originally given to us because she was unsocialized and her original owner, who purchased her from a SC breeder, who also called herself a rescue, said she didn’t have time to socialize her due to her young children. So we socialized this beautiful girl and she is only a tiny bit shy now until she gets to know you. She was adopted out and then returned. Ellie is a high energy dog and needs you to exercise her every single day. Ellie would do best with someone who is home most of the day. She cannot be crated nor confined in small spaces and can figure out how to get out. She is potty trained. She loves playing with other dogs and is a special girl. She loves to be with her person hanging out and just watching what you do all day and will go running with you. She does require you to go outside and run and play with her off leash in a safely fenced area where she can run off her energies with you or another playful dog. Simple leash walks will not do for this beautiful girl! $500
ADOPTED!!! – HOUSTON – BLACK STANDARD POODLE BOY
Houston is a jet black male very sweet standard poodle boy. He was abandoned as a youngster in his backyard along with his brothers and sisters by an AKC breeder. Houston was born about 6/6/09 and came together with his sisters Connie and Frances. We have tested them and it is okay for them to be adopted separately. Connie and Frances were recently adopted in 2014 and now it is Houston’s turn to find a good home! Houston has a very sweet and kind personality and loves to play with other dogs as well as be with his people. Ever since we have opened this rescue in 2009, we are proud to say that our dogs have always come updated with their vaccinations (many times with a 3 year rabies vaccination), DA2PP, Bordatella, heartworm tested negative, spayed/neutered, sometimes have a dental if needed or as resources allow, flea/hw prevention, trained, microchipped, dewormed, socialized with people and animals and lifetime free training and nutrition advice. Our adopters are very happy with the dogs they adopt from us and many times come back to adopt a second dog from us! Our standard poodles require a five foot minimum safely fenced yard unless otherwise listed. $500
Marley – Black and White Parti Poodle Girl!
Marley is a beautiful 5 year old black and white parti standard poodle girl. She has a wonderful, loving, and gentle personality. She just took 5th place in a grooming contest where 50 groomers competed against each other. She came to us very unsocialized with people and with pets from someone who purchased her from a breeder. We discovered that Marley’s vocal cords had been cut and she only has a whisper of a bark. Marley has learned to play with other dogs, greet people, and is familiar with our routine. She is still a bit hesitant but once she gets to know you will not harm her, she becomes a wonderful standard poodle to you. She has come a long way with her progress and deserves a loving permanent home to call her own. $500
OUR POLICIES AND PROCESS
1. Be a minimum age of 25 years old
2. Most of our small dogs do not need a fenced yard but must always be on a leash attached to you while outdoors in an unfenced area. Our large dogs require a minimum five foot high appropriate physically fenced yard. Sometimes we have large dogs that do well with a four foot fence but the fence must be appropriate for the dog and no lower than four feet. If a large dog does not require a fenced yard either due to their age, physical activity, demeanor, medical or other, then their profile will indicate this information. However, they, too, must always be on a leash attached to you while outdoors in an unfenced area………..even if it’s in your own yard, you live far from the road, and you deem your property safe. No invisible fencing and no dog doors.
3. Have no children under 10 years old. If your child is 9 years old and has been raised with a dog successfully then we will consider your application. These dogs are not adopted to children as a toy or “for my child to have a dog”. These dogs are adopted to adults who are contracted with us to be the responsible people to love, care, and to always supervise the dogs around children no matter how well behaved they are.
4. Be a permanent resident of the state of GA
5. Have appropriate dog and/or breed experience
6. Adopted dog must be adopted for and live with the applicant full time, not adopted for someone else, and the adopted dog is never transferable.
7. College students are not applicable to adopt dogs from us until they have graduated, have settled into their new jobs and know what time, expense, and energy they now realistically can provide for a dog, and meet our other criteria.
8. No dog doors. You are contracted with us to be outside with the dog when they are outside. A top animal psychologist has indicated that a dog’s mind is not past that of a two year old human child’s mind. A practical, caring person in their right mind would not allow a two year old child outdoors by themselves. We want the same philosophy for the dogs we adopt and so do the people who give their dogs to us.
9. All dogs and cats in your household must be spayed and/or neutered.
10. Your adopted dog must always be on a leash unless it is in an appropriately fenced yard where it is supervised by a capable adult.
11. No dog doors.
12. If you have a small dog or past small dog experience and want to adopt a large dog, please have large dog ownership experience as well as experience keeping both sizes together if you presently own a small dog. Large dogs require so much more than small dogs, especially in the exercise area, and many unintentional accidents can happen between the two sizes. Exercise is not just letting the large dog into the back yard and expecting it to run or play by itself. It means physically going outside with the dog and actively running and playing with it. Simple leash walks will not meet a large dog’s exercise requirements, no matter how far or long you walk them……. unless they are older dogs.
-Review our policies
-Review our dogs profiles
-Submit a fully completed application via email, and pay the $20 application fee via Paypal.com (use our email address when prompted).
-When Paypal notifies Georgia Poodle Rescue of receipt, Georgia Poodle Rescue will review the application and contact you shortly thereafter.
-The entire process is fairly quick.